You are here
Herbs & Supplements
Dietary supplements are vitamins, herbs and minerals. Some herbs and supplements have shown to have major health benefits, such as taking folic acid while pregnant to avoid certain birth defects. But not all dietary supplements have been tested as carefully as drugs, so it’s important to understand the safety and effectiveness of dietary supplements before you take them.
Understanding Herbs & Supplements
- Dietary Supplements (MedlinePlus)
- Herbs and Supplements (MedlinePlus)
- Herbal Medicine (MedlinePlus)
- Dietary Supplements: What You Need to Know (National Institutes of Health)
- Herbal Products and Supplements (American Academy of Family Physicians)
- National Council Against Health Fraud
- Natural Medicines (Therapeutic Research Center)
Mobile Apps & Tools
Mobile apps and tools can provide you with easy-to-use information and resources that can serve as one part of your overall strategy to become and stay healthy.
This app provides comprehensive, objective information about herbs, botanicals, supplements, complementary therapies, and more from experts. Free. iOS, mobile website.
Herbs at a Glance is a series of brief fact sheets that provides basic information about specific herbs or botanicals—common names, what the science says, potential side effects and cautions, and resources for more information. Each fact sheet can be downloaded as a single PDF, or you can download all entries as an eBook. Free.