There are certain things you can do to be more prepared for a potential disaster. Use these resources to learn concrete ways to minimize the impact of a disaster if you were to be affected by one.
- Be Prepared, Be Safe (NC Department of Crime Control & Public Safety)
- Coping with Traumatic Events (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention)
- Get ReadyNC! (North Carolina Department of Public Safety)
- Personal Preparedness and You (The Regional Municipality of Durham)
- Preparedness Videos (Department of Homeland Security)
Mobile apps and tools can give you easy-to-use information and resources. These can help you stay healthy and safe during a disaster.
The FEMA app has tips about what to do before, during, and after disasters. It can send notifications about severe weather for up to 5 locations. It also lists open shelters and disaster resource centers near you. iOS, Android. Free.
The Red Cross has mobile apps for specific types of disasters, such as hurricanes, wildfires, tornadoes and more. Free and paid apps.
Resources selected by Mendy Ozan, Consumer Health Librarian, Levine Cancer Institute.
Last reviewed June 14, 2022