Health insurance is a way to split medical costs with an insurance company by purchasing a plan where the company agrees to pay some of your medical expenses. Different health insurance plans can have a variety of costs and benefits, and in many states, these can be compared in a health insurance marketplace. These resources can help you find, compare, and evaluate different health insurance options for yourself and your family.
- Health Insurance (MedlinePlus)
- Estimate Your Healthcare Expenses (Fair Health)
- HealthCare.gov Glossary
- HealthCare.gov (U.S. Department of Health and Human Services)
- Health Insurance Related Publications (NC Department of Insurance)
- Health Plans (National Committee for Quality Assurance)
- 5 Tips about the Health Insurance Marketplace (U.S. Department of Health and Human Services)
TRICARE services are organized into two levels of care: TRICARE Prime and TRICARE Select. Each service level is chosen by the beneficiary based upon geographic location and availability of service providers. To help you determine what options you are eligible for use the Plan Finder.
Resources selected by Beverly Murphy, Duke University Medical Center Library & Archives
Last reviewed September 27, 2022