Complementary and alternative therapies, sometimes called complementary and integrative medicine, are treatments that are not part of standard medicine, such as acupuncture or chiropractic. The term describes different health care practices that may be used along with, or instead of, mainstream medical treatment.
- Complementary and Alternative Medicine (MedlinePlus)
- Mind and Body Practices (National Center for Complementary and Integrative Health)
- National Council Against Health Fraud
- Natural Medicines (formerly Natural Standard)
- Relaxation Techniques for Health (National Center for Complementary and Integrative Health)
Mobile apps and tools can provide you with easy-to-use information and resources that can serve as one part of your overall strategy to become and stay healthy. For tips on selecting additional apps for exercise and physical activity, please review this tipsheet.
BioZen uses body sensors to capture live biofeedback data about respiratory rate, temperature, electrocardiogram, and more. Free with purchase of compatible biosensor devices. Android.
Breathe2Relax is a stress management tool which provides detailed information on the effects of stress. It includes instructions for breathing exercises. Free. iOS, Android.
Provides recommended breathing exercises to reduce stress and anxiety, manage high blood pressure, and improve mood. Less than $10. iPhone/iPad.
Resources selected by Beverly Murphy, Duke University Medical Center Library & Archives,
Last reviewed April 6, 2018