Whether you need a compassionate family doctor or expert treatment for a specific medical condition, it is important to know how to choose the right medical services. These resources will inform you about questions to ask concerning insurance, credentials, personality, and more, so that you understand how to select the health care that best meets your needs.
- American Hospital Directory (American Hospital Directory, Inc.)
- Best Hospitals (U.S. News & World Report)
- Estimate your Healthcare Costs (Fair Health)
- Find a Doctor, Drug or Facility (Blue Cross Blue Shield of North Carolina)
- Medical Encyclopedia (MedlinePlus)
- Hospital Compare (U.S. Department of Health & Human Services)
- Nursing Home Compare (U.S. Department of Health & Human Services)
- Personalized Hospital Performance Report Card (RAND Corporation)
- Quality Check (Joint Commission)
Mobile apps and tools can provide you with easy-to-use information and resources that can serve as one part of your overall strategy to become and stay healthy.
This app allows you to find an in-network doctor, get estimated treatment costs, and find the closest urgent care center. Free. iOS, Android.
ZocDoc allows you to view a map of doctors in your insurance network, read patient reviews, and see any doctor’s available times to book an appointment. Free. iOS, Android.
Resources selected by Terri Ottosen, Health Sciences Library, UNC-Chapel Hill, Last reviewed August 31, 2021