Whether you need a compassionate family doctor or expert treatment for a specific medical condition, it is important to know how to choose the right medical services. These resources will inform you about questions to ask concerning insurance, credentials, personality, and more, so that you understand how to select the health care that best meets your needs.
- American Hospital Directory (American Hospital Directory, Inc.)
- Best Hospitals (U.S. News & World Report)
- Estimate your Healthcare Costs (Fair Health)
- Health Services Glossary (NC Health Info)
- Hospital Compare (U.S. Department of Health & Human Services)
- Nursing Home Compare (U.S. Department of Health & Human Services)
- Personalized Hospital Performance Report Card (RAND Corporation)
- Quality Check (Joint Commission)
- Treatment Cost Estimator (Blue Cross Blue Shield of North Carolina)
Mobile apps and tools can provide you with easy-to-use information and resources that can serve as one part of your overall strategy to become and stay healthy.
This app allows you to find an in-network doctor, get estimated treatment costs, and find the closest urgent care center. Free. iOS, Android.
This app allows you to find an in-network doctor, provides 24/7 access to a registered nurse, and access to your personal health benefits information and claims. It also provides information about in-network and out-of-network health care costs. Free. iOS, Android.
This app rates hospitals throughout the country on errors, accidents and infections. It assigns letter grades to more than 2,600 general hospitals in the U.S., giving users a method of finding the safest hospitals in the vicinity. Free. iOS, Android.
ZocDoc allows you to view a map of doctors in your insurance network, read patient reviews, and see any doctor’s available times to book an appointment. Free. iOS, Android.
Resources selected by Terri Ottosen, Health Sciences Library, UNC-Chapel Hill, Last reviewed April 6, 2018